KOBE – A 26-year-old unemployed man in Kobe being held by police on suspicion of assaulting five people, three fatally, was served with a fresh arrest warrant Monday for allegedly killing one of the victims, his grandfather.
Hyogo Prefectural Police plan to serve more warrants on Kanami Takeshima over the attacks on the other people.
The suspect is keeping silent about the alleged murders, according to investigative sources.
In the incident which occurred Sunday morning, the elderly man, Tatsuo Nambu, 83, and two other people — his wife, Miyuki, 83, and a 79-year-old female neighbor, Yaeko Tsuji — were murdered. The suspect’s mother and another woman suffered injuries.
Takeshima, who lived with his grandparents, is suspected of killing Nambu at their Kita Ward home by beating him with a metal baseball bat and stabbing him with a kitchen knife, according to investigative sources.
Describing the situation at the time, the suspect’s mother told police that she suddenly heard a loud sound and went to check what was happening, the sources said. She then saw the suspect beating Nambu with a bat, she said, adding that she tried to stop her son but ran away as he moved closer to her, according to the sources.
The mother was found on a road near the home with bruises on many parts of her body. She told police that she had been assaulted by her son.
Later Sunday, police found Takeshima holding a blood-stained kitchen knife and a baseball bat at a shrine near the crime scene and arrested him on the spot for allegedly violating the Firearm and Sword Control Law.
Earlier, the suspect was quoted by police as saying, “I was holding the knife thinking I would attack and stab somebody — I didn’t care who it might have been.”