• Kyodo

  • SHARE

Retailer Lawson Inc. and logistics company SG Holdings Co. are to begin a delivery service under a new alliance pitched at time-deprived workers and seniors.

Lawson, a Tokyo-based convenience store operator, said Tuesday that it will take a 51 percent stake in the new company to be created in June, with Kyoto-based SG Holdings, which runs Sagawa Express Co., holding the remaining 49 percent.

They will work together to expand their customer base as demand for home delivery increases with a growing number of elderly people and more women opting to work rather than stay at home.

The company, to be called SG Lawson, will deliver boxed meals and everyday items sold at Lawson stores.

SG Lawson will recruit staff to deliver parcels received from Sagawa Express and goods at convenience stores. The company will consider taking orders at delivery destinations.

Delivery staff will also be able to take orders in a bid to appeal to working parents and older customers who do not want to go out, officials said.

The company will initially provide the service at 20 locations in Tokyo, aiming to increase the number to around 100 in the capital by the end of February 2016, with an eye toward an eventual expansion nationwide.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW