• Kyodo News

  • SHARE

Prosecutors said Friday they will seek an acquittal if a retrial is held for a 62-year-old man released Thursday after a fresh DNA test did not link him to the 1990 kidnap-murder of a 4-year-old girl.

With the extremely rare step, Toshikazu Sugaya, who had been sentenced to life for kidnapping and strangling Mami Matsuda in Ashikaga, Tochigi Prefecture, is now expected to be cleared in a retrial before year’s end, legal experts said.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW