• Kyodo


A man in his 40s turned himself in to police Wednesday, claiming responsibility for the fatal shooting of four people at a bar here over the weekend.

The man wandered into the the Metropolitan Police Department in Tokyo, identified himself as a member of a yakuza group affiliated with the Sumiyoshi-kai crime syndicate and confessed to the shootings that occurred Saturday, police officials said. He was later transferred to the Gunma Prefectural Police.

Gunma police are interrogating the man about the shooting, in which three bar patrons with no apparent links to the underworld were killed along with a former gangster.

On late Saturday evening, a pair of gunmen shot and killed the ex-gangster while he sat in a car outside the bar. The gunmen, who were wearing motorcycle helmets, then stormed the bar, apparently targeting Kunio Goto, 55, a former gang leader who was drinking inside.

The gunmen fired more than 10 shots inside the bar, killing three of the patrons and injuring Goto and another customer.

Police said Goto once ran a gang group affiliated with the Inagawa-kai crime syndicate but has since been excommunicated.

In October, Goto was shot and seriously injured by a group of gunmen while he was driving along a mountain road in the village of Shirasawa in the same prefecture.

One of the spent cartridges found at the scene of the Maebashi incident is of the same caliber and type as one used in the October incident, the officials said.

Trio held in shootings

Three Chinese men have been arrested on suspicion of killing a mobster and wounding another in September in Tokyo’s Kabukicho entertainment district, police said Wednesday.

At around 7:30 p.m. Sept. 27, according to police, 24-year-old Chin Fengyun and the two other men shot at two gang members inside a cafe.

Kazuo Shiraishi, 34, was killed and Junichi Ito, 36, suffered serious wounds. Both are affiliated with the major underworld syndicate Sumiyoshi-kai.

The three have confessed, saying they went to the cafe expecting a showdown, police said.

Six suspects have been arrested in connection with the incident, police said.

Police said they have issued an arrest warrant for and are still seeking a 39-year-old Chinese man believed to be the main culprit in the case.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.