• Kyodo


Bereaved families of two victims of a 2001 collision between a U.S. Navy submarine and a Japanese high school fishing vessel will reach a settlement with the Navy later this month in Tokyo, the families’ lawyers said Tuesday.

The lawyers said they will sign settlement accords with the Navy at the U.S. Embassy on Jan. 31 on behalf of the relatives of Yusuke Terata, 17, who was a student at Uwajima Fisheries High School in Ehime Prefecture, and Toshimichi Furuya, 47, who was chief engineer of the school’s fisheries training vessel Ehime Maru.

The families are the last among relatives of the incident’s nine dead and the 26 survivors from the ship to reach a settlement with the Navy.

There were no casualties on the U.S. side.

Relatives of the 33 others settled their claims with the Navy on Nov. 14 for a reported total of $13 million.

The figure for the remaining two has not been revealed, but the amount per victim is expected to be similar to that in the other fatal cases, according to sources. The compensation is expected to cover compensation for the fatalities and redress for mental anguish.

Terata’s parents, who as a condition for settlement were demanding a meeting with Scott Waddle, captain of the 6,080-ton nuclear-powered submarine Greeneville at the time of the incident, met him in Tokyo when he visited Japan in December to offer his condolences.

Furuya’s family did not meet Waddle, but a group of lawyers has been handling the two cases separately from those of the 33 others.

On Feb. 9, 2001, the Ehime Maru sank off Hawaii after being hit by the Greeneville, which was conducting a rapid-surfacing maneuver as a demonstration for civilian guests on board.

Four teenage students, two teachers and three crew members aboard the 499-ton Ehime Maru were killed. Nine students from the high school and 17 crew were rescued.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.