• SHARE

Twenty-three children and staff at a nursery school in Edogawa Ward, Tokyo, were taken to a hospital Wednesday after reportedly inhaling paint-thinner fumes, fire department officials said.

None showed signs of serious illness.

Six staff members and 17 children, aged between 1 and 5, at Funabori Chuo Hoikuen are undergoing treatment, Tokyo Fire Department officials said. Fourteen others at the facility complained of feeling sick.

The fire department was alerted at around 11:25 a.m., after children complained of throat pains and nausea.

The fumes apparently came from an adjacent structure that is being painted.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW