• SHARE

Most of the 44 people who died from a fire in a building in Tokyo’s Shinjuku Ward at the weekend are believed to have died less than two minutes after inhaling carbon monoxide or hydrocyanic acid gas, investigators said Tuesday.

Firefighters found 16 bodies in a video mah-jongg game parlor on the third floor, where the fire is believed to have started, and a further 28 in a hostess bar on the fourth floor of the Myojo 56 Building in the Kabukicho entertainment district early Saturday.

Unable to view this article?

This could be due to a conflict with your ad-blocking or security software.

Please add japantimes.co.jp and piano.io to your list of allowed sites.

If this does not resolve the issue or you are unable to add the domains to your allowlist, please see out this support page.

We humbly apologize for the inconvenience.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW