• SHARE

OSAKA — Police served a fresh arrest warrant on Mamoru Takuma on Friday on charges of stabbing seven schoolgirls to death and injuring 12 others in an attack June 8 at an Osaka elementary school.

In the new charges, Takuma, 37, is accused of fatally stabbing the seven second-graders with a kitchen knife and injuring 10 other students and two teachers at the state-run Osaka Kyoiku University Ikeda Elementary School in Ikeda, Osaka Prefecture, during a 10-minute rampage, police said.

The seven victims and 12 injured were not included in his initial arrest warrant, they said. In all, Takuma allegedly killed 8 pupils and injured another 13 pupils and two teachers at the school.

The Osaka Prefectural Police sent the suspect to the Osaka District Public Prosecutor’s Office on June 10 on suspicion of killing one and injuring three of the 21 pupils after obtaining testimony from witnesses.

Investigative sources said the police are expected to take Takuma back to the crime scene and conduct an on-site inspection to confirm the charges.

The prosecutors are planning to request that the Osaka District Court order Takuma to be detained for psychiatric assessment during the prosecutor’s detention period following the second arrest.

They believe psychiatric examinations of Takuma are necessary to verify his criminal competence in consideration of his past medical history of psychiatric treatment, even though Takuma has confessed to pretending to be mentally unstable immediately after his arrest to escape his charges, the sources said.

Takuma has admitted to killing and injuring the 23 people, saying he wanted to cause a high-profile incident to harass his former wife, according to the sources.

The prosecutors spared Takuma indictment on the initial charge Friday, the deadline of the prosecutor’s initial detention period. They are expected to decide on criminal prosecution of Takuma after the psychiatric assessment, they said.

Police warning system

In the wake of the stabbing spree at an Osaka elementary school earlier this month that left eight children dead, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government said Friday that it will install an emergency warning system at some 5,000 schools by the end of this fiscal year.

According to Tokyo government officials, the cost of installation, estimated at about 1.5 billion yen, will be shouldered by the metropolitan government.

“I hope the system will have a deterrent effect (against intruders) in our effort to make schools a safer place,” Gov. Shintaro Ishihara said during a news conference the same day.

Under the plan, all kindergartens, elementary schools, junior high schools as well as schools for the disabled in Tokyo will have the system, which will be directly connected to the Metropolitan Police Department, officials said.

Some 1,000 private kindergartens, elementary schools and junior high schools in the capital will also be covered by the plan.

Under the system, schools can alert police by pushing buttons installed in school facilities, but out of concern for false alarms, the number of buttons for each school is likely to be limited to around four, according to officials.

It remains to be seen how effective the system will be in deterring would-be intruders.

In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.

SUBSCRIBE NOW