OSAKA — A Japanese man on trial in Macau on charges of murdering a Chinese woman and injuring another in August has admitted being involved in the murder of a Japanese man in Osaka earlier this year, investigative sources said Saturday.
Masami Fujikawa, 47, told Osaka policemen sent to Macau to question him that he dumped the body of Masami Onishi, 54, an Osaka clothing wholesaler, in a forest in Kumano, Mie Prefecture, the sources said.
Based on Fujikawa’s admission, police on Friday searched a forest in Kumano, the sources said.
Onishi went missing on the night of March 23. Fujikawa is believed to be the last person Onishi met before he went missing.
The police found traces of Onishi’s blood at his office in Osaka’s Toshima Ward and believe he was killed in his office and his body dumped elsewhere, the sources said.
On the night of March 23, Onishi’s eldest son left him at the office. His family later filed a missing person report with the police.
Onishi’s eldest son told the police he saw Fujikawa enter the office and local residents reported hearing a loud noise from the office shortly before Onishi’s disappearance.
The investigations also revealed that Fujikawa owed Onishi about 4 million yen. During questioning by the Osaka police in mid-July, Fujikawa said he had chatted with Onishi for “about 15 minutes” on the night in question.
Fujikawa left for South Korea in late July and arrived in Macau around Aug. 11. He was indicted Aug. 30 on charges of attacking two women from China in his hotel room.
The two women were found bleeding in a corridor on the hotel’s fifth floor by hotel staff. One of the women, who had been stabbed in the chest, died in hospital.
Fujikawa, a resident of Osaka’s Higashi-Yodogawa Ward, has been charged with murder and attempted murder in the Macau case. If found guilty, he will be imprisoned for between 10 and 20 years.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.