The following are the key proposals outlined by the Central Council for Education:
1) Class size and the number of teachers in each subject should be determined at the prefectural and municipal levels;
2) Principals should be given more authority in making personnel and budgetary decisions;
3) People with over 10 years of educational experience should be able to serve as principals and vice principals without teaching licenses;
4) School district designations should be relaxed;
5) Teachers should be allowed to take time off for self-improvement purposes;
6) Local educational councils should be set up to reflect the voice of the community.
In a time of both misinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing, you can help us get the story right.