Kids’ rights and cancer support


Coping after cancer

M recently arrived in Tokyo from Hong Kong and, as a breast cancer survivor, is wondering where she can turn for support.

“I had a double mastectomy back in the U.S. in 2005, and though I seem to be well, I really wish I had people to talk to who understand what I have gone though — am still going through.”

The Kango Net is a community Web site connecting citizens and nursing personnel through St. Luke’s Hospital in Tsukiji, Tokyo. It has a great support program called “Living At Your Own Pace” — see www.kango-net.jp/en/project/02/02_2/p02_03.html.

However, it does appear to be geared toward women undergoing treatment for breast cancer, rather than those who have come out the other side. During meetings, handouts are distributed on, for example, treatment details and what family and friends can do to help patients cope.

For copies of such handouts in English, send the title of the booklet you want, your name and address, a stamped envelope and a ¥390 stamp to the Research Center for Development of Nursing Practice, St. Luke’s College of Nursing, 3-8-5 Tsukiji, Chuo Ward, Tokyo 104-0045. Or fax (03) 6226 6387.

Regarding your own case, M, how about starting a group by first of all placing free listings in newspapers or magazines in Japan?

Children’s rights

B writes: “The French reader (see last week’s Lifelines) worried about his brother (married to a Japanese) losing his children to Japanese law might like to get in touch with the Children’s Rights Council of Japan.”

CRCJ is not to be confused with the Japan Children’s Rights Network, which was covered in last week’s column.

This organization, founded in 1995, supports parents who are being denied access to their children in Japan.

Also it helps children cope when parents divorce, separate or are in a troubled marriage.

Check out CRCJ’s Web site at www.crcjapan.com or mail crcjapan@yahoo.com. You can also call (03) 3666-6828 or (090) 2550-9807.

We have also had a number of readers asking (for one reason or another, but in large part for tracking partners suspected of having affairs) about the availability of private detectives in Japan.

CRCJ recommends Intersec. The company’s Web site in English and Japanese — and its range of services (in any number of languages), from finding missing children to high-level corporate surveillance — is indeed impressive.

Looks like a good place to start: check out www.intersecusa.com.

Writing a will (Aussie rules)

MJ says that in June he read advice in this column for Americans in Japan seeking lawyers who know about U.S. and Japanese wills.

“Could you recommend a lawyer who knows about writing Australian and Japanese wills?” he asks.

The Australian government’s Consular Office in Japan has an excellent Web site. Under “Legal Information,” see “Finding a legal firm in . . .”

Click the part of the country where you are living, and contact information is then supplied on law firms, together with their specialties.

Most are Japanese with English-speaking staff, so hopefully they know both Australian and Japanese law.

Or — and you will definitely need an Aussie sense of humor for this — check out the legal team at Welcher & Welcher in Melbourne, as they appear (between the wisecracks) to specialize in writing wills: www.abc.net.au/tv/welcher/guestbk/guestbk.htm.

They have a Barrister’s Joke Book and offer free mugs for the best jokes. Typical of their promotional material: “If you want to write a will you must be 18. And living.”

Send your queries, questions, problems and posers to lifelines@japantimes.co.jp