ALAMEDA, CALIFORNIA – The Oakland Raiders have added another proven veteran to their rebuilding defense, signing free-agent cornerback Carlos Rogers to a one-year contract on Monday.
Rogers, 32, joins former San Francisco 49ers secondary mate Tarell Brown on Oakland’s overhauled defense. The Raiders have also brought in defensive linemen Justin Tuck, LaMarr Woodley and Antonio Smith.
All of those other players are at least 29 years old and have played in the Super Bowl in their careers as general manager Reggie McKenzie is counting on that experience to help end an 11-year playoff drought.
“The Raiders have been one of the teams that have been more active in the offseason, trying to turn things around,” Rogers said. “I see where this team is going and it wasn’t hard to come here and finalize the deal.”
Oakland is coming off back-to-back four-win seasons and hasn’t had a winning record since winning the 2002 AFC championship.
After showing some promise early in the season, the Raiders defense wilted late and allowed the second-most points per game (28.3) in franchise history. Oakland has had two of the three highest scoring seasons allowed in coach Dennis Allen’s first two years with the franchise. That led to the big changes on defense this offseason.
Rogers played an NFL-high 1,259 snaps as a slot cornerback in his three years in San Francisco, according to Pro Football Focus. He will likely play that role again in Oakland on the nickel defense and will also compete with last year’s first-round pick D.J. Hayden for a starting spot outside across from Brown.
“We were a big part of the puzzle that turned San Francisco’s defense around, so hopefully we can translate that over here and be even better,” Rogers said.
Rogers was let go earlier this offseason by the Niners in a cost-saving move.
Rogers has started 116 games over nine seasons with Washington and San Francisco. He has 17 career interceptions and 109 passes defensed.
Jackson to visit Redskins
Washington — A person familiar with the situation says three-time Pro Bowl receiver DeSean Jackson planned to visit the Washington Redskins on Monday night and Tuesday.
The person says the Redskins were one of several teams interested in Jackson, who was released Friday by the Philadelphia Eagles after a career-best season and amid reports of off-the-field concerns. The person spoke to AP on Monday on condition of anonymity because the Redskins had not announced the visit.
The Eagles had tried to trade Jackson and there were questions about his work ethic. He also upset the organization further when he lobbied for a new contract shortly after Philadelphia was eliminated in the playoffs.
When Jackson was released, he issued a statement denying he was associated with gang activity.