ENGLEWOOD, COLORADO – Before John Elway headed out to the golf course to take advantage of a sunny Sunday in the Rocky Mountains, the Denver Broncos general manager made yet another splash in free agency by signing wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders to a three-year, $15 million contract.
The Broncos have been the league’s most successful suitors so far, committing nearly $128 million to five players, including three thumpers who will reinforce a defense that was exposed in the Super Bowl: safety T.J. Ward, cornerback Aqib Talib, pass rusher DeMarcus Ware, and two receivers in Bubba Caldwell and Sanders.
“They definitely did a great job from a free-agent perspective,” Sanders said. “When I saw them bring in DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward, I was like, ‘They’re stacking up on defense.’ I knew with Peyton Manning and Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas and Wes Welker and (Bubba) Caldwell, I was like, ‘I would fit with these guys really well.’ When my agent, Steve Weinberg, got the call, we were definitely fist-bumping. We were hoping that the numbers matched, and they matched. So yesterday was probably one of the best days of my life.”
A former Pittsburgh Steelers No. 2 receiver, Sanders can play both the slot and the outside in place of Eric Decker, who left Denver for the New York Jets.
This latest move left several teams fuming, according to NFL.com, which reported that Weinberg shopped his client around after agreeing to a deal in principle with the Kansas City Chiefs.
A call from The Associated Press to Weinberg went straight to voice mail Sunday, and that mailbox was full.
Sanders defended his agent, saying Weinberg did nothing wrong. He said he visited four teams and when he was ready to sign they reached out to those teams to ask for their final offer.
“And I guess the Chiefs felt like they had a deal. But we never officially had a deal,” Sanders said.