/

Selig announces plan to retire in ’15

AP

Bud Selig took over a sport with $1.7 billion in revenue, four teams in each year’s postseason, economic disparity among the clubs and a fixation on sticking with traditions that dated to the 19th century.

After a decade of maintaining his departure was imminent, the 79-year-old baseball commissioner put his exit plans in writing Thursday and said in a statement he will retire in 2015 after 22 years — the second-longest term behind Kenesaw Mountain Landis.

“He’s been the voice of baseball. Some people liked his voice. Some people didn’t,” Minnesota Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. “I have a lot of respect for the guy.”

Some owners — even his wife — had been skeptical in the past that he really would quit, but this marked the first time he issued a formal statement that he will step away. He even gave an exact date: Jan. 24, 2015.

“I look forward to continuing its extraordinary growth and addressing several significant issues during the remainder of my term,” he said.