TAMPA, FLORIDA – New York Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano says his contract status is on his mind, though not a distraction.
Cano is due $15 million in the final season of what became a $57 million, six-year deal and is eligible for free agency after the World Series.
A day after Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said the team had made a significant offer during the offseason to Cano’s agent, Scott Boras, Cano declined to address the matter Friday but did say: “It’s never going to go out of your head.”
“I don’t want to be a distraction to the team,” Cano added. “Just focus on playing baseball.”
He hit .313 with 33 homers and 94 RBIs last year but was 3-for-40 (.075) with no homers and four RBIs during the playoffs, including a postseason-record 0-for-29 skid.
“I have one more year on my contract,” Cano said. “I have to perform and help the team win another championship.”
Cano plans to leave Yankees’ camp this weekend to join the Dominican Republic’s World Baseball Classic team, which plays the Yankees in an exhibition game Wednesday. It will mark the first time Cano will be play against the team that signed him as a free agent in January 2001.
Cashman termed his confirmation of the proposal to be a “Biden gaffe,” a reference to Vice President Joe Biden’s habit of off-script remarks.
“I think it’s fairly normal for when a guy is a free agent to think about his contract,” manager Joe Girardi said. “I think Robby will be able to block it out. I think Robby will go out and have a good year, and play well. He might have to answer questions a few times about it, but I’m sure it will all die down once the season starts.”
Cruz has strained muscle
AP
Texas Rangers right fielder Nelson Cruz was cleared of more serious issues Friday after team doctors diagnosed a muscle strain in his chest.
Assistant general manager Thad Levine said Cruz was sent to a hospital to rule out anything else. The Rangers later said in a statement that several tests were negative and Cruz was being released after a stress test, which general manager Jon Daniels said he passed.
Cruz can resume baseball activities Saturday.
“I think our guys made the right call,” Daniels said. “Better safe than sorry to have him checked out.”
Daniels said Cruz’s status for the World Baseball Classic will depend on how he feels Saturday. Cruz was set to leave Sunday to join the Dominican Republic for the WBC.
Verlander looks sharp
AP
As Detroit Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander walked off the mound at the end of the first inning, he had a few words for a frustrated David Wright.
“I just told him to swing the bat,” Verlander said after throwing a called third strike to fan the New York Mets star on three pitches, “I was just joking around with him. We grew up playing against each other.
Verlander toyed with New York hitters on Friday, throwing three perfect innings in the Tigers’ 6-2 loss.
The 2011 AL MVP and Cy Young Award winner struck out three and needed just 35 pitches for nine outs.

Click to enlarge