QPR frustrates City in scoreless draw

AP

Manchester City missed a chance to put the pressure on Manchester United at the top of Premier League by drawing 0-0 at bottom-place Queens Park Rangers on Tuesday.

The inability to break through a compact QPR side means the champions are four points behind United, which can surge seven points clear by beating Southampton on Wednesday.

“We are disappointed for this result,” City manager Roberto Mancini said. “We had our chances to win, and we dominated the game, but QPR defended very well, got players behind the ball. We lost two points, for sure.”

QPR remains bottom, but is now three points behind Reading and four adrift of Aston Villa.

Newcastle climbed four points clear of Villa after goals from Papiss Cisse and Yohan Cabaye clinched a 2-1 win at Villa Park that plunged the hosts into the drop zone.

Wigan moved out of the relegation places on goal difference after drawing 2-2 at Stoke, while Swansea drew 0-0 with Sunderland in a meeting of mid-table teams.

At a rain-swept Loftus Road, two of the seven places on the QPR bench were filled by goalkeepers: Rob Green and Brian Murphy, who has made just one appearance for the club.

It was a clear message from manager Harry Redknapp to chairman Tony Fernandes about just how desperate he is for new signings before the transfer window closes on Thursday night.

The third goalkeeper in the matchday squad, Julio Cesar, came under pressure from the start. But in front of him, the defense remained disciplined to thwart waves of attacks.

“It’s a bonus point — they rip teams to pieces home and away,” Redknapp said. “We will take a point off them any day.”

At Villa Park, Newcastle finally halted a run of 17 games without a victory on the road in all competitions this season.

Cisse put Newcastle ahead in the 19th minute, latching onto a pass from new signing Moussa Sissoko and dispatching a low shot past goalkeeper Brad Guzan.

“We have worked really hard on integrating the new players,” Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said. “They are not here to save us, they are here to help us.”

Milan to sign Balotelli

MILAN, Italy
AP

AC Milan announced on Tuesday that it has reached an agreement with Manchester City to sign Italy striker Mario Balotelli from the English champions.

City declined to comment on reports that a deal had been struck for the 22-year-old forward, who joined the Premier League club from Milan’s city rival Inter in 2010.

“An agreement has been reached with Manchester City, Balotelli will have a medical tomorrow and then sign,” Milan director Umberto Gandini told The Associated Press. “If he doesn’t pass the medical, it won’t happen.”

Italian media reported that Balotelli would sign a 4½-year deal with Milan through 2017, bringing an end to a turbulent 2½ years in English soccer.

Asked about the day’s events, City manager Roberto Mancini said: “It was difficult because I lost one striker, one important striker . . . it’s difficult to find a solution for us now.”

“It will be a good chance for him to stay with his family, to play for Milan,” Mancini said.