/

Jeter on field for first time since breaking ankle

AP

Derek Jeter has worked out on a baseball field for the first time since breaking his left ankle last October.

The 38-year-old New York Yankees captain fielder 55 grounders on the grass in front of the infield dirt at shortstop Monday at the team’s minor league complex. He also hit in a batting cage.

“Everything went well,” Jeter says.

The 13-time All-Star expects to start in New York’s opener against Boston on April 1. This is the time of year Jeter usually starts his onfield pre-spring training routine.

Jeter broke the ankle lunging for a grounder in the AL Championship Series opener against Detroit on Oct. 13. He had surgery a week later, and the Yankees said recovery time would be four to five months.

Jeter has been walking on an underwater treadmill at the team’s facility since early January.

Pavano has surgery

MINNEAPOLIS
AP

Carl Pavano’s spleen was removed last week after the pitcher was injured when he fell in the snow.

The 37-year-old right-hander was hurt in mid-January at his home in Vermont and has been in a Connecticut hospital for nearly two weeks.

“He lost a lot of blood. It was very, very serious,” agent David Pepe said Monday.

Pepe said Pavano didn’t think he was seriously injured after the fall, then didn’t feel well following a workout a few days later in Connecticut.

“He felt bad enough that he went to the hospital and he ended up getting admitted, and they realized he had a lacerated spleen,” Pepe said. “They tried to control the bleeding. They did all they could to not take it out and, unfortunately, he didn’t stop bleeding and he’s been in the hospital since.”

Pepe hopes Pavano will be released from the hospital this week. He would not put a timetable on the free agent’s possible return to baseball.

“To be quite honest, I think he’s very fortunate that he caught this thing. He had the presence of mind to go to a hospital,” Pepe said. “It could have been a lot worse. He’s just got to get his strength back and worry about baseball later.”

Pavano spent the past 3½ seasons with the Minnesota Twins, going 2-5 with a 6.00 ERA in 11 starts last year. He didn’t pitch after June 1 because of a strained right shoulder.

A heralded free agent after the 2004 season, Pavano signed a $39.95 million, four-year contract with the New York Yankees but then was sidelined by injuries to his shoulder, back, buttocks, elbow and ribs and became a target of criticism for Yankees fans and New York media. He went 9-8 with a 5.00 ERA in just 26 starts over the four years.