/

Brazil not looking to hire ex-Barcelona coach Guardiola

AFP-JIJI

Brazilian Football Confederation president Jose Maria Marin on Monday dismissed reports the five-time world champions are going to sign former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola to lead their 2014 World Cup campaign.

“There is a very little chance it will be a foreign coach. We have won five World Cups with Brazilian coaches and I don’t think it will be necessary,” Marin told the Terra website.

A source close to Guardiola said on Saturday that Brazil is the only team in the world that Guardiola was ready to coach after Mano Menezes was fired on Friday following 2½ years in charge.

“The past is the past. We must now think about the future and it is the moment to analyze the ideal candidate who is going to lead a team that has picked up inconsistent results,” added Marin.

During his time in charge, Menezes guided Brazil to just 21 wins in 40 matches, including the Olympic campaign where it lost to Mexico in the gold medal match.

CBF VP’s home raided

SAO PAULO
AFP-JIJI

Federal police seized documents and computers during a dawn raid Monday on the home of the vice president of the powerful Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), the news portal UOL Esporte reported.

Marco Polo Del Nero had been due to attend the opening of Soccerex, the leading event provider for the global football industry, in Rio de Janeiro Monday but did not show up.

The CBF’s No. 2, who is also president of the Sao Paulo football federation, a member of world governing body FIFA’s executive committee and of the 2014 World Cup Local Organizing Committee, was meanwhile questioned by federal police in Sao Paulo and later released, UOL Esporte said.

The federal police in Sao Paulo would not confirm the report, saying a statement would be issued later.

“I am absolutely at ease. It’s a personal matter which does not affect my activities in football, my law firm or in CBF,” Del Nero was quoted as telling the news portal.

“Police came to my home, asked for my documents. I turned them over and I was questioned for nearly 20 minutes,” he added.

Meanwhile Jerome Valcke, the general secretary of FIFA said in Rio that the case was “a domestic issue which has nothing to do with FIFA”.

Attending Soccerex, a convention of the global soccer industry, Valcke said FIFA’s ethics board could in theory initiate a probe but noted that first it was important to establish the facts.

“We are all entitled to the presumption of innocence,” Valcke said.

In March, del Nero replaced fellow Brazilian Ricardo Teixeira on the FIFA executive committee after the latter quit following allegations of corruption.

Teixeira, who resigned his positions as CBF president and chief of the 2014 World Cup organizing committee, had sat on FIFA’s executive committee since 1994.

Teixeira, who had been CBF chief since 1989 and revamped the body after it struggled financially, has faced accusations that he took millions of dollars worth of bribes in the 1990s from the Switzerland-based ISL sports marketing company that later went bankrupt.

He was also accused of diverting public funds from a friendly match played by Brazil in 2008.