China boycotts Yonex Open

Kyodo

China has pulled its badminton players from the Yonex Open that started on Tuesday in response to Japan’s nationalization of the Senkaku Islands last week.

A Nippon Badminton Association source told Kyodo News that the withdrawal came at the urging of the Chinese government, which has vehemently opposed Japan’s decision to nationalize the islands to which Beijing lays claim.

China had several entries for the six-day Yonex Open held at Tokyo’s Yoyogi National Gymnasium, including the men’s pair of Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng, who won gold at the London Olympics.

The source said China issued its final notice of withdrawal over the weekend.