Haye beats Chisora in grudge match


David Haye settled his grudge showdown with Dereck Chisora with an exciting fifth-round stoppage of his British heavyweight rival in front of over 30,000 supporters at Upton Park on Saturday.

Former world heavyweight and cruiserweight champion Haye twice floored Chisora with left hooks in the fifth round and when his rival was deposited on the canvas for a second time, the fight was stopped by referee Luis Pabon.

Haye improved to 25 wins — 24 by stoppage — and two defeats while Chisora suffered his fourth defeat in his 19th fight, and his fourth setback in his last five bouts.

Haye captured the minor World Boxing Association (WBA) and World Boxing Organisation (WBO) International heavyweight titles for winning this controversial clash that boxing authorities tried to ban.

After settling a festering feud that began with a public punch-up earlier this year, the pair hugged and made up after the end of their explosive encounter.

Haye hopes the impressive display will increase calls for him to face World Boxing Council (WBC) title-holder Vitali Klitschko.

“I’ve sent out a very scary message. I’ll be surprised if Vitali Klitschko wants to fight me after that. He will no doubt try to fight some chump and then retire to be a politician,” said Haye.

Klitschko, 40, is due to face German Manuel Charr on Sept. 10 and could then retire to concentrate on a full-time political career.

Haye’s hope is Klitschko will be tempted by one more lucrative payday as the Ukrainian’s younger brother Wladimir has said he is not interested in a rematch with the Briton.

Whatever the significance of his latest victory, it would have been immensely satisfying for Haye after the brawl with his bitter rival, incessant trash talk over the last six months and public condemnation of the pair for their behavior.

That the fight took place at all was an outrage to some, including the British Boxing Board of Control, which tried to ban the bout.

Garcia stops Khan


Danny Garcia stopped WBA titleholder and heavy favorite Amir Khan in the fourth round on Saturday to stay undefeated and add another super lightweight belt to his collection.

Khan bruised Garcia early in the bout, opening a small cut above his eye. But Garcia turned the fight around in the third round, sending the 2004 Olympic silver medalist from Britain to the canvas with a left hook.

At the start of the fourth, Garcia swarmed Khan with power punches, knocking him down twice quickly. Khan got back to his feet each time, but the referee ended the bout at 2:28 of the round.

“I always knew I would win this fight,” Garcia said. “I needed a great fighter in front of me to show how great a fighter I am. Now everyone knows.”

The American now has the WBA title to go along with his WBC one. He improved his record to 24-0 with 15 knockouts while Khan fell to 26-3 with 18 KO’s.

“It wasn’t my night,” Khan said. “I was coming in with my hands down and Danny took advantage of that. He countered very well against me.”