Nagoya meet still up in the air: JSA

Kyodo

The fate of The Nagoya Grand Sumo Tournament In July Will Rest In The hands of The Sports Ministry, Japan Sumo Association Chairman Hanaregoma said Thursday.

“We’re exhausting all our resources so that we can go back to organizing a regular tournament,” Hanaregoma said.

The JSA will provide the ministry a full report on its investigation into the match-fixing scandal, which either fired or forced to retire 25 wrestlers and stablemasters.

The JSA will make its final decision on the Nagoya tournament only after meeting the ministry. Hanaregoma had said regular sumo would only resume after the investigation was complete and prevention measures were put in place.

The tourney in May had been dubbed a Technical Examination Tournament. The Spring Basho in March was canceled after the scandal came to light in February.