/

Norovirus sickens 49 at glitzy Ginza eatery Bulgari

JIJI

A luxury restaurant in the upscale Ginza district in Tokyo’s Chuo Ward has been hit by food poisoning caused by norovirus, with 49 people experiencing symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting, the Tokyo Metropolitan Government said Tuesday.

The affected people were among 138 participants in a stand-up party held at Bulgari Il Ristorante Luca Fantin on Dec. 11, and their symptoms appeared on Dec. 12 and 13, according to the metropolitan government.

The ward ordered the restaurant to suspend its business for three days from Tuesday, though it has already been closed since Friday.

This was the second norovirus poisoning case at the restaurant after one in March 2010.

The National Institute of Infectious Diseases warned on Tuesday that the number of patients of infectious gastroenteritis, including those caused by norovirus, is rising faster than in usual years.

Patient numbers exceeded 20 in 13 of the 47 prefectures, according to the institute.