Japan didn’t meddle with U.S. ‘comfort women’ textbook, envoy claims

Kyodo

Ambassador to the United States Kenichiro Sasae has rejected criticism by U.S.-based historians that Japan tried to meddle with descriptions in an American textbook over the use of “comfort women” at wartime Japanese military brothels.

The academics “allege interference by the government, but this is not a matter to be considered from that angle in the first place,” Sasae told Japanese reporters Friday in Washington.

Sasae made the remarks after a group of 19 academics in a statement criticized Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s government for asking publisher McGraw-Hill to alter the wording of the description.

In November, Foreign Minister Fumio Kishida said the Abe government had asked McGraw-Hill to alter some phrasing in the textbook “Traditions & Encounters: A Global Perspective on the Past,” which said the Imperial Japanese Army forcibly recruited as many as 200,000 women between the ages of 14 and 20 to serve as forced prostitutes.

“We tried to make them (the publisher) draw attention to the facts,” Sasae said on Friday.

Disputes between Japan and South Korea over the comfort women issue have strained ties, as many of the victims were from the Korean Peninsula, which was under Japanese colonial rule from 1910 to 1945.

The U.S.-based academics insisted the Abe government had tried to inappropriately interfere with the textbook’s publication. Sasae denied this, saying, “I don’t think we are interfering unreasonably.”

He did not elaborate further, simply saying, “We’ll thoroughly examine the statement.”

In a landmark 1993 apology issued by then-Chief Cabinet Secretary Yohei Kono, Japan admitted the recruitment and transfer of comfort women was conducted “generally against their will.” But during a 2006 Diet session, Abe, during his first stint in office, stopped short of clearly accepting the comfort women were forcibly recruited.

Abe’s current government asked a panel of experts last year to re-examine the way in which the 1993 Kono statement was compiled. Abe has said, however, that his administration has no intention of rewriting the statement itself.

  • timefox

    About guarantee money, South Korea should just pass comfort women the money which South Korea received from Japan by the Japan-ROK Basic Relations Treaty. Although the South Korean President’s father did not do it, it is not what present Japan should perform instead. The Japanese government’s apology to comfort women is also executed. Moreover, life assistance to comfort women was also supported in Asian Women’s Fund.

    Since this is a problem in South Korea, it should just support a life of all the comfort women in whom the South Korean government contains U.S. Forces comfort women.

    An investigation of the American government and Japanese Government concluded that there was no compulsion.

    I want Japanese Government to work on a fabrication problem perseveringly.

    • Kyle

      There has been no such investigation by the American government, and government assistance is given to “comfort women” by the Korean government.

  • left nut

    Damage control in full effect! Sasae, needs to spin things a little harder if wants to convince anyone…

  • left nut

    Damage control in full effect! Sasae, needs to spin things a little harder if wants to convince anyone…