CONAKRY – Health officials in the West African nation of Guinea say they’re now treating eight cases of Ebola in the capital.
Dr. Sakoba Keita, a spokesman for the Health Ministry, announced on national television the virus had reached the city of 3 million.
Keita said Friday at least 70 people have died in the country’s south since the Ebola outbreak began last week.
The highly infectious virus causes hemorrhagic fever in its victims, with a fatality rate of up to 90 percent.
Keita said the new cases involved patients who had been in contact with the body of one of the earlier victims. He said health officials were seeking to quarantine anyone who took part in the burials.
Authorities in neighboring Liberia are also investigating several suspected cases.