SEOUL – South Korea displayed its longest-range missile capable of striking all of North Korea and other sophisticated weapons at a massive military ceremony Tuesday, a display of force meant to show Pyongyang that any provocation would be met with strong retaliation.
It was South Korea’s biggest Armed Forces Day ceremony in a decade, and the first since its northern neighbor conducted its third atomic test and threatened nuclear conflict earlier this year.
About 11,000 troops, 190 weapons systems and other equipment and 120 aircraft were featured at the ceremony at a military airport just south of Seoul. Among them were GPS-guided, Hyunmu-3 cruise missiles with a range of 1,000 km that South Korea developed in recent years. It was the first time the domestically built Hyunmu-3 was publicly shown.
“It is a precision-guided weapon that can identify and strike the office window of the North’s command headquarters,” Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told reporters.
President Park Geun-hye said in a speech at the ceremony that South Korea must maintain its strong alliance with the U.S. and establish missile defense and pre-emptive strike capabilities to let North Korea know “the nuclear weapons and missiles it is obsessed with are useless.”
“We must build up a strong deterrence against North Korea until it puts down its nuclear weapons program and make a right choice for its own people and peace on the Korean Peninsula,” she said as visiting U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel sat nearby.
Seoul plans to spend nearly 1 trillion won ($931 million) next year to build a command system that would allow its military to pre-emptively strike targets in North Korea if required. The South is also spending 120 billion won to enhance missile defense next year.
Later Tuesday, South Korea was to hold a military parade through the streets of Seoul for the first time since 2008.
Such large-scale Armed Forces Day celebrations are normally held every five years, when a new president takes office. In 2008, however, the event was much smaller, with fewer soldiers mobilized and the ceremony held at a sports stadium, instead of a military airport.
Such displays are generally considered more of a North Korean speciality, with massive, highly-choreographed parades of goose-stepping intensity regularly staged in Pyongyang.
Park took office in February for a single five-year term with a policy that combines vows of strong counteraction to any North Korea provocation alongside efforts to build trust and re-establish dialogue.
After a flurry of springtime threats, Pyongyang eased its rhetoric but still repeatedly vowed to bolster its nuclear arsenal to cope with what it calls U.S. military threats. North Korea then sought the resumption of stalled joint cooperation projects with South Korea before it recently abruptly canceled the reunions of families separated by war.
The Korean Peninsula is still officially in a state of war because the 1950-53 war ended with an armistice, not a peace treaty. About 28,500 U.S. troops are deployed in South Korea.
A day earlier, Park criticized Japan over historical and territorial disputes during a meeting with Hagel.
Seoul and Tokyo have long bickered over the ownership of tiny islets, a Japanese war shrine and other issues stemming from Japan’s colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula from 1910-1945. Their ties have further soured due to recent nationalistic events and remarks in Japan.
Park was quoted as saying in a statement Monday that trust between Seoul and Tokyo has not been established due to Japanese leaders’ repeated “regressive” remarks on historical and territorial issues.
Park made the comments after Hagel expressed hopes for improved ties between Seoul and Japan.
She says Japan must show a sincere attitude toward a people still suffering from colonial occupation.
Click to enlarge