Japanese man hurt in Guam hotel blast

AFP-JIJI

Investigators have so far found no evidence that an explosion at a bar in the Guam Hilton that forced tourists to evacuate was terrorism-related, officials said Friday.

The blast late Thursday injured two people and sparked a major security scare on the U.S. Pacific territory, which is home to some 6,000 military personnel, with the FBI and Homeland Security rushing to secure the scene and investigate its cause.

Officials said two people — a 22-year-old male Japanese tourist and another 38-year-old male guest — were rushed to the Guam Memorial Hospital, but their injuries were not serious.

A U.S. official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said late Thursday that at first glance the explosion, which occurred during a barbecue demonstration at the bar, appeared to be an accident, citing a gas pipe as the possible source.