LIMA – Pope Francis has removed a Roman Catholic bishop who is suspected of sexually abusing minors in Peru.
Gabino Miranda, 53, was removed as part of the pope’s “zero tolerance” policy against abuse, said the Rev. Luis Bambaren, the retired former chief of the Peruvian bishops’ conference, on Friday.
Miranda is only the second bishop known to have been removed in recent times by the Vatican over sex abuse allegations.
Miranda had since 2007 led the youth ministry of Peru’s bishops’ commission. He was a close associate of the powerful Cardinal Juan Cipriani of Lima, sharing membership in the conservative Opus Dei organization.
The regional prosecutor’s office said an investigation had been opened into Miranda but did not specify the subject.