Second-richest man hurt in China attack

AFP-JIJI

Multibillionaire Zong Qinghou, China’s richest man until he was dethroned last week, was injured in an alleged revenge attack following the dismissal of some employees, reports said Wednesday.

Zong is chairman of China’s leading beverage producer, Wahaha Group, and Forbes magazine estimates his personal wealth at $11 billion, second only to Wang Jianlin, head of conglomerate Wanda Group, with $14 billion.

The 67-year-old tycoon was attacked Friday near his home in the eastern city of Hangzhou and a suspect had been arrested, the official Xinhua News Agency said, citing police.

Tendons in Zong’s left hand were severed, the Shenzhen-based Hong Kong Commercial Daily reported, with a source telling the paper that the attack might have been revenge for the removal of executives at a Wahaha unit.