WELLINGTON – Traditional animal rivalries were set aside in New Zealand when a dog’s blood was used to save the life of a poisoned cat in a rare interspecies transfusion, reports said Wednesday.
Kim Edwards was frantic last Friday when her ginger tom Rory went limp after eating rat poison, rushing to her local veterinary clinic in the North Island city of Tauranga for help.
Vet Kate Heller said the feeble feline needed an immediate transfusion to survive, but there was not enough time to send a sample to the laboratory for testing to determine the cat’s blood type. Instead, she decided to take a gamble and use dog blood to try to save the animal, knowing it would die instantly if she gave it the wrong type.
Edwards called up her friend Michelle Whitmore, who volunteered her black labrador Macy for the procedure.