Tepco says no deadline for redress

Kyodo

Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Thursday it will continue to accept compensation claims over the 2011 Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant disaster after the three-year legal deadline passes.

“We do not intend to say ‘that’s it’ after three years. . . . We hope not to create concerns among the people affected,” Tepco President Naomi Hirose told Fukushima Gov. Yuhei Sato in Fukushima Prefecture, adding that his company is now discussing in detail the legal matters concerning the issue.

Hirose said the utility plans to announce in the near future how it will respond to the problem.

Sato, meanwhile, reiterated his request to scrap not only the crippled reactors 1 to 4 at the Fukushima No. 1 plant, but also the remaining reactors 5 and 6 that achieved a cold shutdown in the early stage of the nuclear disaster, as well as the Fukushima No. 2 plant, located adjacent to the No. 1 complex.

“I have also told Prime Minister Shinzo Abe that it is the collective will of the people in the prefecture to decommission all the reactors (in the prefecture),” the governor said.

Tepco has so far only made clear that it will scrap reactors 1 to 4. Hirose told reporters later that his company will make a decision on the issue “in a comprehensive manner” in relation to the national energy policy.