China cancels out on tourism talks

Kyodo

An annual ministerial meeting on tourism between Japan, China and South Korea scheduled for late November has been postponed indefinitely amid the Senkaku territorial dispute, officials said.

Japan was to host this year’s version of the trilateral meeting in Fukushima Prefecture, but China sent a letter in late October saying that it could not take part because of the tourism minister’s tight schedule, the officials said Thursday.

The Japan Tourism Agency will try to reschedule the meeting.

The meeting had been scheduled for Nov. 26 and 27 in the city of Iwaki.

The meeting has been held every year since 2006.