Team to probe slow disclosure on rocket launch

Kyodo

The government will set up a team to examine why it was slow to disclose information on North Korea’s rocket launch late last week, Chief Cabinet Secretary Osamu Fujimura said Monday.

Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Tsuyoshi Saito will head a team consisting of Toshiro Yonemura, deputy chief Cabinet secretary for crisis management, and other senior officials from relevant ministries, Fujimura said at a press conference.

The government’s top spokesman added that he will also be scrutinized as part of the two-week study.

On Friday, the government appeared to bungle its initial response by publicly announcing that an object had blasted off from North Korea about 40 minutes after the fact, even though Tokyo immediately received the information on the 7:40 a.m. launch from the U.S. military.