The government refused Friday to comment on former Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone's memoirs of his service as a naval officer during the war in which he reveals he set up a military brothel.
Yoshiaki Yoshimi, a professor at Chuo University and a leading expert on the forced sex, said Nakasone’s experience was evidence that the military was directly involved in setting up and running the brothels.
According to Tsujimoto, the section in which Nakasone describes setting up the brothel was submitted to the U.S. House of Representatives earlier this year as evidence that the Japanese military was directly involved in managing the “comfort stations.”
Abe has alleged no documented evidence has been discovered to prove the government was directly involved in “forcibly taking women” to the military brothels and forcing them to work there.
Abe’s remark drew a storm of criticism from across Asia. He has repeated that his government stands by the 1993 official apology for the forcing of women into frontline brothels.
In 1993, then Chief Cabinet Secretary Yohei Kono publicly stated that an investigation by the government confirmed that Japan did in fact force women into the brothels.
Nobuo Ishihara, who was deputy chief Cabinet secretary in 1993, has said the statement was largely based on interviews with 16 former comfort women, not government documents.
Nakasone was prime minister from 1982 to 1987.
For more stories related to the wartime sex slaves issue.