Name: Traci Consoli
Age: Old enough to know better and still doing it anyway
Occupation: Owner of The Pink Cow Restaurant Roppongi
Likes: Art, music, science, genuine people, white wine
Dislikes: Crowds, spiders, liver (and internal organs in general), people who disrespect other people
1. What first brought you to Japan? I graduated. It seemed like a good idea at the time.
2. What’s keeping you here? I originally stayed because I was married but by the time I got un-married I had already started the restaurant. So I’m still here.
3. Who in Japan do you most admire? My business partner, because he is the most genuine, hard-working person I know.
4. Where do you go to escape Tokyo? My garden. It is my sanctuary.
5. Describe your most embarrassing moment. Oh, not even the top 10 could be discussed in public!
6. What’s the most exciting/outrageous thing you have ever done? Ditto.
7. What’s your favorite Japanese word or phrase? Natsukashi (that feeling of nostalgia). It describes so well that feeling of bringing back the feeling of something special.
8. What’s your favorite phrase in any language? “Sh-t happens,” because sh-t does happen.
9. What’s the strangest request you’ve ever been asked in your line of work? “Does the food cost money at your restaurant?” Really?
10. If you were a piece of sashimi, what kind of fish would you be? If you gotta be a fish at least be Beluga caviar!
11. If you could share a bottle of shōchū (distilled beverage)with anyone from history, who would it be? Probably Leonardo da Vinci. Just wow.
12. What song best describes your work ethic? “Hard Day’s Night” by The Beatles, because I work 100 hours a week.
13. How would you get an elephant into a refrigerator? Now that’s a refrigerator I want!
14. Name three uses of a stapler without staples. A paper weight, a nut cracker and there must be a way to open a bottle of beer with it.
15. What superhero would you most like to be? Wonder Woman, because she is super hot and has an invisible plane.
16. What do you think about while standing on the train? I am usually working on my idevice but if not, sadly, usually thinking about work, philosophy or cute guys.
17. If you won ¥1 million in the lottery, what would you do with the money? Redecorate the restaurant and take a vacation!
18. How would you find a needle in a haystack? I would need minions for that. But a magnet might do, too.
19. What do you want to be when you grow up? Retired!
20. Do you have any words of advice for young people? Follow your dreams and your heart!