Soul Festival of the shrine, associated with Buddhist Bon Festival. Over 30,000 lanterns are lit up along the approach to the shrine. Various events, such as traditional performances, folk dancing and mikoshi carrying, are scheduled during the festival period.
Schedule & Key events:
● daily from 6 p.m.: Lanterns are lit up
6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m. Folk dancing
● July 13 from 7 p.m.: Taiko (Japanese drum) performance
● July 14 from 7 p.m.: Aomori-Nebuta performance
● July 15 from 6:30 p.m.: mikoshi carrying
from 8 p.m.: Awa-odori dance performance
● July 16 from 5 p.m.: & from 6:30 p.m.: mikoshi carrying
Location: Yasukuni-jinja Shrine, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Tokyo Metro Tozai, Hanzomon Line or Toei Shinjuku Subway Line to Kudanshita Station (T07, Z06, S05) (Exit 1), and then walk 5 min.
Festival information compiled in cooperation with the Tourist Information Center of the Japan National Tourist Organization. (Shin-Tokyo Bldg. 1F, 3-3-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo; (03) 3201-3331). Open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily.