Tag - lifelines

LIFELINES

Japan Times
COMMUNITY / How-tos / LIFELINES
Nov 29, 2020
My bank wants my residence card details to fight terrorism. Do I have to comply?
Banks are sending some non-Japanese customers requests to come into their branch and confirm their identities, which they say is part of a broader strategy to combat crime.
Japan Times
May 24, 2020
How U.S. citizens in Japan can apply for coronavirus aid payments from home
Lifelines gets answers from two taxation experts regarding the payments from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act.
Japan Times
Apr 27, 2020
Compensation may be a matter for the 'Red Book'
A reader would like to know what they are entitled to after being hit by a car while passing through an intersection.
Japan Times
Jun 12, 2019
Getting those shots in: Information on vaccinations in Japan
An interesting query came to Lifelines from LS, a reader in the United States who was born in Tokyo and lived here until her teens. She writes:
Mar 20, 2019
In search of family and friends in Japan
Here is another of our occasional columns featuring requests from readers who are hoping to reconnect with "long-lost" people in Japan.
Japan Times
Oct 24, 2018
My husband is not my baby's father. Can my child take the dad's name?
A reader writes in to Lifelines asking for some advice on issues related to paternity and marriage.
Japan Times
Oct 14, 2018
Raising kids in Japan, with extra challenges: Foreign parents of children with physical or learning difficulties share their stories
Raising children as a foreign parent here is no picnic, but what about when your child is also coping with physical or learning challenges?
Japan Times
Sep 19, 2018
What does Japan's Nationality Act really mean for its dual citizens?
Given the present "don't ask, don't tell" attitude of the Justice Ministry, it would be highly unusual if Naomi Osaka was forced to relinquish her U.S. citizenship at the age of 22.
Japan Times
Sep 16, 2018
Bilingual project aims to be a springboard to women's empowerment in Japan
A new bilingual program aims to cross language and cultural barriers and help all women move ahead in their professional and personal lives u2014 sharing with and learning from each other in the process.
Japan Times
Sep 12, 2018
More than a century on, Baden-Powell's Scouts span 169 nations, including Japan
Those in Japan wishing to join the movement can take their pick between the Scout Association of Japan and the Boy Scouts of America.
Japan Times
Aug 22, 2018
Amnesty International Japan program aims to help schools fill the gender information gap
Amnesty International Japan introduced the Gender Human Rights Education Project, with an aim to provide a forum and tools for students to learn about and discuss gender, discrimination and human rights protection
Japan Times
Aug 5, 2018
How can I ensure my family isn't liable for my elderly Japanese wife's driving mishaps?
Reader B wrote to Lifelines about his worries regarding his wife, a keen driver who is about to become an octogenarian.
Japan Times
Jun 17, 2018
SIETAR Japan sees a time for intercultural understanding
SIETAR Japan seeks to promote intercultural communication through lectures and workshops, special interest group meetings, an annual conference, retreats and social gatherings.
Japan Times
Jun 3, 2018
I want a divorce in Japan, but what about child custody and my mortgage?
A reader writes in with a query about the all-too-familiar subject of divorce, along with a related question about his mortgage.
Japan Times
May 20, 2018
My company didn't enroll me in the Japanese social insurance program. What to do?
A non-Japanese worker wrote to Lifelines with some questions about the shakai hoken social insurance system.
Japan Times
May 13, 2018
Readers reach out to lost friends and family in Japan
Another of our occasional "in search of" columns featuring people hoping for a blast from their pasts, along with an update on efforts to help children and parents in international abduction cases.
Japan Times
Apr 25, 2018
A primer on navigating your ID landscape
A number of changes to Japanese ID registration systems have been implemented in recent years, some of them for everyone in Japan and others pertinent only to foreign nationals. The ins and outs can be a bit confusing, particularly for those who have been used to living under the old systems for many years. Here is a summary of the various IDs and what they mean for you:
Japan Times
Apr 15, 2018
Advice on HIV tests, Japanese pensions, rugby and reuniting with kids
Lifelines works through a selection of topics that have come our way recently.
Japan Times
Apr 11, 2018
Type 1 diabetic travelers to Japan, be prepared
Traveling to Japan with Type 1 diabetes can be tough, but only if you allow it to be.
Japan Times
Mar 28, 2018
From Tohoku to Tokyo, Acchi Cocchi NPO offers healing through art
Acchi Cocchi brings music, dance and the visual arts into everyday life in Tohoku and the greater Tokyo area.

Longform

A statue of "Dragon Ball" character Goku stands outside the offices of Bandai Namco in Tokyo. The figure is now as recognizable as such characters as Mickey Mouse and Spider-Man.
Akira Toriyama's gift to the world