Bomb scare closes Athens embassy

Japanese Embassy staff in Athens were unable to enter the complex Monday after a local broadcaster received a call from someone threatening to blow up the building housing the diplomatic mission and other tenants, Vice Foreign Minister Yukio Takeuchi said.

Local TV station Antenna received an anonymous call at 7:18 a.m. local time saying a bomb planted in the Athens Tower Building would go off at 10 a.m., or 4 p.m. Japan time, Takeuchi said.

No bomb went off, and a search by police investigators turned up no explosives, Takeuchi said.

Embassy officials, including Ambassador Toshio Mochizuki, had to use a separate office used by the embassy as police had already sealed off the building when they came to work at around 8 a.m., Takeuchi said.