MIYAZAKI – The following is a summary of the Miyazaki PALM declaration issued Saturday at the end of the one-day Pacific Islands Leaders’ Meeting 2000 (PALM) at the Seagaia seaside resort complex here.
* Pursue “Tomorrow’s Pacific,” where politically independent and economically self-reliant FICs enjoy peace and prosperity.
* Cooperate on capacity building, promotion of economic reform and environmentally sound improvement of basic infrastructure.
* Cooperate in the international arena on such areas as climate change, fisheries, infectious diseases, refugees, radioactive materials and U.N. reform.
* Cooperate in promoting dialogue to address concerns of Pacific island nations on shipment of radioactive materials through the Pacific region, particularly the safety and potential economic losses arising from any accident.
* Promote dialogue at all levels, business ties, intellectual, cultural and grassroots exchanges.